Simon King wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Note that some optional packages fail to install due to dependencies.
> For example, my p_group_cohomology-1.1.spkg requires that gap_packages
> is installed first. In the log posted by David, this is given as the
> reason for the failed installation.
>
> Is it possible to take care of such dependencies? I guess my
> cohomology package is not the only optional package that relies on
> another optional package.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

That is certainly one issue. It makes it impossible to test if your package
would work or not, without resolving the earlier issue.

It would be good if packages failed in a helpful manner too.

For example, valgrind makes it clear why the package fails (it's only supported
on linux). Fair enough. It's a shame it it not supported on Solaris, but that is
something we have to accept. The error message is clear.

In contrast, other packages (such as ginv-1.9-20080723) just sends a load of
clearly x86 specific flags to the compiler (-m3dnow, -msse and -mmmx) on the
SPARC processor, then fail.

It would be good if a list of optional packages could indicate when they
fundamentally can not be installed, such as valgrind. I've no idea if
ginv-1.9-20080723 has fundamental reasons it is not going to work on Solaris,
or
if perhaps with a tweak of compiler flags, it has a reasonable chance of
working.

Dave