On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:36 AM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The solution is simple. Have two versions of a package,
> say
>
> my-gpl-package.spkg
> my-gpl-package-with-all-nongpl-dependencies-autoloaded.spkg.
>
> The last differs from the first only in the license and a few lines of
> the installer script.

That's really simple for you.  From *my* point of view as
the-guy-who-has-to-post-all the spkg's, and make-sure-they-work, and
complain when they don't, the above just doubles my workload.

Regarding: "I was told that a GPL package must not install a non-GPL package."

The above can never legally come up, right?  If a program Foo is "GPL"
and fundamentally depends on a program Bar that is licensed
GPL-incompatible, then distributing Foo at all violates the GPL right?
  So if the above situation ever came up, I would not host said spkg
on sagemath.org, since I would be a copyright violator.

Regarding: "so I attempt to install them with "sage -i" in the
spkg-install script.  The bad thing is I hard-code the package
numbers, so that will break if they are updated."

Don't do that.  Instead do this:

    sage -c "install_package('package_name')"

without the version number.  The "install_package" command in the Sage
library automatically determined the most recent version of a package.

The reason "sage -i" doesn't do this is mainly historical and so that
"sage -i" doesn't depend on loading the Sage library.

Regarding: "it makes me want to bang my head on my desk"

Don't do that.  We need you to be healthy so you can continue to
contribute to Sage!

 -- William

--
William Stein