Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> On 2009-Nov-02 13:35:05 +0000, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
>> wrote:
>>> I would suggest a pull-down on the track where one could select from
>>>
>>> 1) N/A - Not an upstream bug.
>>> 2) Not yet reported upstream, but should be.
>>> 3) Reported upstream.
>>> 4) Fixed upstream
>> Sounds good to me.
>
> Great, that is two people that think it is useful.

Actually, there was a *lot* of people who thought this would be useful, and not
a single person that did not.

But after some discussion about exactly what the pull-down should or should not
contain, the thread died out.

Can this thread be bought back to life?  The above 4 options was my initial
thought, but on reflection I think

1) N/A - Not an upstream bug
2) Not yet reported upstream; Will do shortly.
3) Reported upstream. Little or no feedback.
4) Reported upstream. Developers acknowledge bug.
5) Reported upstream. Developers deny it's a bug.
6) Fixed upstream, in a later stable release.
7) Fixed upstream, but not in a stable release.
8) Workaround found; Bug reported upstream.
9) Completely fixed; Fix reported upstream
10) None of the above - read trac for reasoning.

would be best, though Jason pointed out that often 4 and 8 are both true, and
if
8 or 9 is the case, then usually we would just close the trac ticket as fixed.

Clearly to find an optimal list on the pulldown would be nice, but either the
first 4 I suggested, the last 10, or some other combination in between would be
better than nothing at all.

I personally do not see anything wrong with have 8 or 9 selected AND the trac
item closed. But neither do I have any objections if someone wants to remove
some options. (I do see it as a limitation of trac that you can't select two
options. To me, it would be good if you could select both 4 and 8 with tick
boxes rather than a pulldown. But that can't be done to my knowledge, so it is
not an option).

I feel anything in this direction is better than nothing at all, which is what
we currently have. Anything that encourages developers to report a bug
upstream,
and to provide in the trac details of how it was reported, must be a step in
the
right direction.

Dave