"Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net> writes:

> I find it hard to believe Sage will not have a negative impact on the
> sales of Mathematica, but I certainly hope Sage does not put Wolfram
> Research out of business. I very much doubt it will either.

I am with your hope (how to say this properly?).  At any rate, I think
its realistic though that sage will put

    maxima, fricas (axiom, open-axiom), reduce, giac, etc.

eventually "out of business".  I'm not so sure about MMA, Maple, Magma,
and Matlab, but I'm quite sure that not all of them will survive
competition with sage.  Now you might laugh or even feel proud, but I'm
pretty sure wikipedia was laughed on, too, not so long ago.

mhampton <hampto...@gmail.com> writes:

> It is good for mathematics if there are multiple implementations of
> any sort of computational functionality, to check results at the very
> least.

Again, I couldn't agree more: although the "competitors" were two closed
source packages (one for MMA, the other for Maple) and the other open
source (for MMA), they were extremely important for Waldek and myself to
judge where our program (the guessing machine) needed improvement most.
(In a particular test, before tuning, our package took 10 hours and one
of the others one hour.  Now we stop at 10 minutes...)

> Most people in academia don't want to learn many different systems,
> they want a single tool for teaching and research.  It is natural, as
> Sage developers, to wish that that single tool be Sage rather than
> anything else.

I understand.  Being in the "smaller" boat, I can only encourage sage
developers to spend at least a little time on contemplating whether a
CAS-world with sage only is desirable.  Possibly it is.  Otherwise, the
next problem is, what sage can do to keep others alive.  (Possibly not
much, but I'm not sure.)

I think that mathematics is a social science :-)

Martin