William Stein wrote:
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi David,

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

<SNIP>

It needs reviewing, and I'd appreciate if a few people could have a look at
it.

I have started building Sage 4.3.1.alpha1 with the updated sage-env on
about half a dozen machines. I'll report the test results later on
when all build/doctests are done.

I build on the virtualbox farm, and the results are in

  http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/wstein/farm/out/4.3.1.alpha0/

in case you want to look.  That "alpha0" is your alpha1, I think.

William

Thank you.

The changes introduced are deliberately very small - which is why I think the file is safe.

Unfortunately, given the file sage-env has no "echo" statements, it's hard to know exactly what sage-env has done, compared to what would have been done had the modified script not been used. (But of course if it did have echo statements, it would cause an annoyance when starting Sage).

The new environment variables the modified sage-env sets (CFLAG64, SHARED_LIBRARY_EXTENSION, SONAME_FLAG, WHOLE_ARCHIVE_FLAG etc) are not displayed, as nothing in Sage uses them. So again, its hard to determine from those builds any changes. One can only see what is happening when on tries to display the variables.

So I can't tell an awful lot from those, other than to say:

 * The updated 'sage-env' does not appear to break on any of your builds or
mine.

* Testing on my own SPARC show sage-env inject the right compiler option (-m64) when SAGE64=yes.

* Testing on my own HP-UX shows sage-env injects the right compiler option (+DA2.0W) when SAGE64=yes.

Could #7818 get a positive review, be dropped into alpha2, and let Jaap Spies get on with the port to Open Solaris? I very much doubt most people will notice any difference whatsoever, but it will make the Solaris port a lot easier, and allow for some spkg-install files to be cleaned up.

Dave