Martin Albrecht wrote:
People often CC me onto tickets to test on Solaris. Unfortunately, I
don't have the time to test every patch on Solaris. Yet 't2' is
available for anyone to test their changes. That machine was supplied
free by Sun, who obviously want to see Sage running on Solaris.

For some reason I have some awe when it comes to t2 and testing on it. With the patch you referenced applied, do I just do: make and Sage will build and run? If that's not the case, can you give a step-by-step guide how to build Sage?

There is general documentation on building on Solaris at

http://wiki.sagemath.org/solaris

However, it might be useful to have some very specifically for 't2'. I'll write some documentation on that and put it on the Wiki. However, in the short term, the following will set up everything on 't2' properly.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1-sun-linker/lib:/usr/local/lib
SAGE_FORTRAN_LIB=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1-sun-linker/lib/libgfortran.so
PATH=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1-sun-linker/bin:/usr/local/bin2:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin

However, the problem we have is that 4.3 will not build, as the Sun compilers are installed. One possibility it to rename the location of the Sun compilers. If they were moved from /etc/SUNWspro to /opt/foobar, then the build would succeed.

Unfortunately, 4.3.1 will not build, even if that change is made.

However, we can't really distribute a 4.3 and claim it works fully on Solaris. The fact the Sun compilers are free, and produce faster code than gcc, tends to mean many system admins will install them. A normal user would not be able to disable the Sun compilers - they would need root access.

Hence I believe there is some merrit in producing a 4.3.0.1, which has the one patch needed to get Sage to build irrespective of whether the Sun compilers are installed. That would avoid users needing root access to build Sage.

To say I was pissed off about the 4.3.1 release breaking the Solaris
port would be an understatement.

I can understand that.

Thank you.

Dave