On Jan 27, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Martin Albrecht wrote:
People often CC me onto tickets to test on Solaris. Unfortunately, I
don't have the time to test every patch on Solaris.

Nor do I. Or test every patch on all of Ubuntu, RedHat, Debian, OS X, etc. (and soon Cygwin), though building on Solaris seems to be touchier than most systems. We should put Solaris/OpenSolaris one one of the build farm VMs at least, so the release manager can bounce patches that don't work there.

Fortunately the vast majority of patches shouldn't break anything on this level.

Yet 't2' is available for anyone to test their changes. That machine was supplied
free by Sun, who obviously want to see Sage running on Solaris.
For some reason I have some awe when it comes to t2 and testing on it. With the patch you referenced applied, do I just do: make and Sage will build and run? If that's not the case, can you give a step-by-step guide how to build Sage?

There is general documentation on building on Solaris at

http://wiki.sagemath.org/solaris

However, it might be useful to have some very specifically for 't2'. I'll write some documentation on that and put it on the Wiki. However, in the short term, the following will set up everything on 't2' properly.

Thanks. I remember wanting to test something on Solaris a while back and I didn't do it simply because I didn't have a clue how to get a working Sage on t2, or even start compiling it. That and t2 is so slow for building and testing. At least you you don't have to get a separate account for it anymore as of the last Sage days (right?).

Hence I believe there is some merrit in producing a 4.3.0.1, which has the one patch needed to get Sage to build irrespective of whether the Sun compilers are installed. That would avoid users needing root access to build Sage.

Depending how immediate the need is, could it wait 'till 4.3.2? Or are you worried something else Solaris will break by then? If you volunteered to be release manager I don't think anyone would disapprove.

- Robert