On Jan 28, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Mike Hansen wrote:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Andy Somogyi <andy.somo...@gmail.com> wrote:
2: This is the big one: No Publication Quality Output - by this I mean that the sage web server process uses matplotlib to produce raster images which are then displayed in the html, and for publication, I
need vector plots i.e. pdf.

You can easily create SVG plots as it is now:

sage: p = plot(x^2, -2, 2)
sage: p.save('xsquared.svg')

It wouldn't be that difficult to make it so that there was an option
to have it produce SVG instead of PNG by default.

And for publication, one can do

    sage: p.save('xsquared.ps')
    sage: p.save('xsquared.pdf')

as well. Having an html5 canvas backend is something that has been often discussed as well (mostly in terms of interactivity benefits). We support(ed) multiple backends for 3d graphics as well, but jmol was the only one that works on a wide variety of machines (at least at the time). x3d seemed like a likely candidate for vector 3d data, but it hasn't been worked on for quite a while.

In terms of a "web service API," have you looked at

http://hg.sagemath.org/sage-main/file/21efb0b3fc47/sage/server/simple/twist.py#l1

(Much more basic, and use JSON for metadata rather than XML, but it might be suitable for your needs.) One difficulty of following the MathLink directly for us is that Sage has a much richer type system than Mathematica--e.g. not everything is an expression, including user- defined classes.

A somewhat orthogonal feature which would address (2) in a complementary way would be a "export as PDF/latex" option for worksheets (with or without SageTeX embedded commands).

Of course, none of this addresses (1), I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

- Robert