OK, I did some reading and I now see the point of the question.

At this point I don't see any problem with Linux on Itanium 2. For
example the gcc build farm contains an Itanium 2 (though no longer an
Itanium), and gcc itself support Itanium 2, as does the assembler
(obviously).

Are there any articles which you could point me to which might change
my mind about Linux on Itanium?

Certainly if Linux didn't have a future on Itanium, then that would
indeed be relevant.

Bill.