William Stein wrote:
Hi,

Lately it seems like Sage has gotten more bugs rather than less.    I
think it's time for a stabilization release -- say Sage-4.4 -- that
fixes the absolutely most annoying of these bugs.

I think your idea is excellent.

What are *your* top 4 bugs that are in sage-4.3.2 that you really wish
were fixed??

I'd like to see the Solaris build get back on track. Two recent changes in Sage broke this. In each case, Sage is released without having sufficient time for testing IMHO.

My top 3 bugs - in order of annoyance. (I've not really got a fourth.)

1) http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7867
"GCC reports incorrect flags compiling descent_two_isogeny.c on Solaris 10"

This bug was introduced when #6583 got merged. It is a direct result of that, as Minh has found. I'm not implying that #6583 is necessarily bad code, as I don't fully understand the issues. But the addition of the elliptic curves code in #6583 broke the Solaris build.

2) http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/7932
"_Complex_I undeclared - a new bug totally stops a Solaris 10 build."

This is fixed by Roberts changes, but those changes are not integrated into
Sage.

3) http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8191
"Add iconv need for Solaris, and possibly Cygwin too."

This is needed for R to build on Solaris, but you might wish to avoid adding a new standard package in a stabilisation release. I think it might be wise to leave this, but I'll leave that decision to you. I can create the iconv.spkg, but someone else would need to make the necessary changes so that iconv gets built.

I believe first two really do need to be fixed. The third is less important, and perhaps a bit too far for a bug-fix release.

Let me know what you think about adding iconv in 4.4.

Dave