On Mar 27, 10:56 am, François Bissey <f.r.bis...@massey.ac.nz> wrote:
> > I just stumbled over "Gentoo prefix" -- have any of you tried it out?
>
> > In short, it allows a Gentoo "Linux" system in a subdirectory, on Linux,
> > Mac, Windows/SUA, Solaris. Gentoo is thus awfully similar to the Sage
> > spkg system:
>
> >   - Installs Unix software in a common prefix location.
> >   - Package system based on simple shell scripts.
>
> > For Sage, it seems like a perfect solution for e.g. easily setting up
> > GNU toolchains on Solaris or Windows/SUA, since somebody else maintains
> > the bootstrapping scripts. (I don't remember whether you require GNU on
> > Solaris now -- on Windows SUA it could definitely be useful if you ever
> > go there).
>
> >http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/index.xml
> >http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml
>
> > For my own purposes this might easily repla..*ehrm*..supplement Sage as
> > my scientific Python environment. At least I'm going to try it out for
> > some time. The primary problem now seems to be the requirement of a
> > seperately installed toolchain rather that using the one on the host
> > system; I've asked on the list about that...
>
> Hi,
>
> Well I gave it go some time ago on mac OS X (10.5) and I am thinking to
> give another go now that EAPI 3 has landed. I am toying with getting
> the sage-on-gentoo overlay working on prefix at least on mac.
> Have you tried our sage-on-gentoo overlay yet?

No, I'm barely getting started. I hardly know my way around Gentoo, I
had no interest in it until I discovered Gentoo prefix. (I need to
distribute software on clusters, and I certainly don't have root
access to those! -- and I'm really glad that the others who are on the
cluster don't have root access either.)

Thanks for pointing out the Sage overlay to me, that certainly looks
nice. It's nice to know that it is there, although I only use the
NumPy/SciPy/matplotlib/IPython parts of Sage myself. So far it looks
like Gentoo actually contains more of the packages I use than Sage
does; if it just all works on prefix (or without too many changes)...

Dag Sverre