> ... So there are two alternatives:
>
>  - Write spkgs for everything I use (including some stuff which
> already have Gento packages, such as suitesparse) and give them Sage
>  - Point them to a stripped Gento prefix bootstrap, and write Gento
> packages for the (fewer) packages that are missing
>
> Dag Sverre

Hi Dag Sverre,

there may be a third alternative, FEMhub seems to incorporate also
many of the packages you mentioned:

http://femhub.org/codes.html

Back to Sage and Gentoo/Prefix. In my eyes, the biggest difference
between them, is the way dynamic libraries are handled (especially
finding the "right" ones). Sage uses "LD_LIBRARY_PATH", whereas Gentoo/
Prefix uses the "rpath" feature, going so far as to use a customized
libtool, IIRC. Gentoo is a "source" distribution, so that's fine from
their perspective. Sage, on the other hand, has the very nice feature
of being able to provide binary installs "working everywhere", relying
on relocatability (move an entire Sage install to some different place
in your file system tree, and after some bookkeeping, it will continue
to work).

To achieve the latter without using "LD_LIBRARY_PATH", but with using
"rpath" (i.e. hardcoding the paths of the needed libraries linked
against, directly in the library/binary itself), is not impossible.
There are tools like "chrpath" under Linux and "install_name_tool"
under Mac OS X, which could be used to adapt these hardcoded paths.
But currently, Sage lacks the necessary infrastructure to be able to
decide (upon, say, a relocation) which libraries are linked against by
which others, which libraries are to be adapted --- in the end,
currently, Sage does not even really "know" of the existence of
libraries, it's all rather implicit resp. scattered all over the
place ... I think you know enough of the Cython world, to know what I
mean (have e.g. a look at Sage's "module_list.py").

That said --- go on, and share you experiences with us!

Cheers,
Georg