On Mar 27, 11:15 am, François Bissey <f.r.bis...@massey.ac.nz> wrote:
> > No, I'm barely getting started. I hardly know my way around Gentoo, I
> > had no interest in it until I discovered Gentoo prefix. (I need to
> > distribute software on clusters, and I certainly don't have root
> > access to those! -- and I'm really glad that the others who are on the
> > cluster don't have root access either.)
>
> > Thanks for pointing out the Sage overlay to me, that certainly looks
> > nice. It's nice to know that it is there, although I only use the
> > NumPy/SciPy/matplotlib/IPython parts of Sage myself. So far it looks
> > like Gentoo actually contains more of the packages I use than Sage
> > does; if it just all works on prefix (or without too many changes)...
>
> You picked my curiosity. You want to use prefix on a cluster. So it would be
> prefix on linux or prefix on solaris, or something else altogether?

Prefix on Linux. "My own" cluster runs Linux.

Of course, there's lots of installed software by the sysadmins
(swappable using modules.sourceforge.net -- highly recommended!).
However, like many Sage developers, I routinely patch and fix and
custom build my dependencies, and I can't really bother the sysadmins
every time I want to push a recompile of NumPy or whatever.

And managing the packages "manually" gets tedious in the long run.
Also now I need to distribute it as a standalone package to somebody
who has NO experience with Python whatsoever, and I don't even know
what system they are on yet -- and I come dragging with my 15+ package
dependency. So there are two alternatives:

 - Write spkgs for everything I use (including some stuff which
already have Gento packages, such as suitesparse) and give them Sage
 - Point them to a stripped Gento prefix bootstrap, and write Gento
packages for the (fewer) packages that are missing

Dag Sverre