On Mar 29, 8:01 pm, "Georg S. Weber" <georgswe...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > Python is not a sledgehammer; it is an elegant tool, which can be used
> > to produces beautiful readable maintainable and portable code.
>
> > > Anyway, it's your decision.
>
> > I'm for allowing the use of Python in the Sage build system.
>
> >  -- William
>
> Under $SAGRE_ROOT/local/bin/, several of the Sage infrastructure
> scripts are already written in Python, instead of "bash" (except for
> the very first she-bang line "#!/usr/bin/env python") --- see e.g.
> "sage-clone".
> For what it's worth, I really like the idea to refactor/rewrite the
> Sage build system/infrastructure more or less completely in Python. Oh
> well, if I had time for that, I'd rather devote it to help the release
> managers.
>
> Cheers,
> Georg

I see nothing wrong with that as such. What I do find odd is to make
Python a prerequisite, then also include the python sources too. That
means people are going to need to have two copies of python. I would
imagine such a strategy would be even more difficult to "sell" to
groups like Debian for the perposes of packaging. One could argue a
requirement to ship python sources, but it gets even more difficult to
argue that python is a prerequisite, but we still ship the sources.
Personally I would think that anything that needs to be done before
python is built should be done in bash scripts. Of course, there is
nothing stopping python being built very early on.

Dave