On May 26, 2010, at 11:13 AM, leif wrote:

On 26 Mai, 20:00, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:
On May 26, 2010, at 10:47 AM, leif wrote:
<SNIP>
There are other alternatives.

Such as?

* As I said above, incorporate it into Cygwin.

* Provide an optional spkg.

* Provide (it with) Cygwin or a "patch" to Cygwin.

* Run Sage in VirtualBox on Windows.

* Use the Sage notebook interface in Windows, the server running on a
proper operating system ;-)

Oh, and of course:

* Convince Microsoft to fund a native port of Sage and all its
included packages.

* Convince Microsoft to change their APIs.

:). I was actually thinking you were saying there was a better package
providing the same features. In any case, I'd say yes, lets include
it, because it'll solve our problem now in a clean way. Long term it
may make sense to push it into cygwin itself.

In the long term, many packages should be moved from the main tarball/
made prerequisites, such that you only have to download them if you
really need them.

One of the points of Sage was that you didn't need to worry about manually installing dependancies, just download the tarbal and build (and it all just works). Of course, with Windows we're already down that slope some, as cygwin is a "dependancy" (though one could imagine shipping a cygwin+sage binary that just requires double clicking and installs like any other standard MS app).

- Robert