On May 26, 2010, at 11:43 AM, leif wrote:

On 26 Mai, 20:25, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:
On May 26, 2010, at 11:13 AM, leif wrote:
In the long term, many packages should be moved from the main tarball/
made prerequisites, such that you only have to download them if you
really need them.

One of the points of Sage was that you didn't need to worry about
manually installing dependancies, just download the tarbal and build
(and it all just works).

Waiting for Debian et al. packages that manage that... (a pseudo
dependency package could suffice in the first place).

Or a Sage "pre-install" package that downloads missing (perhaps
sourrce) packages (and applies necessary patches) [and builds them,
then continuing with Sage installation].

Of course then one gets into the whole versioning mess--it's hard enough to get specific versions of all these packages to play together perfectly on a variety of platforms.

Of course, with Windows we're already down
that slope some, as cygwin is a "dependancy" (though one could imagine
shipping a cygwin+sage binary that just requires double clicking and
installs like any other standard MS app).

+1 (and remove Cephes from the source tarball :)

I wonder if a M$ user should be required to install Cygwin and compile
Sage at all... ;-)

Yep. Of course just building on Cygwin at all is a huge first step :).

- Robert