On 06/24/10 08:45 PM, François Bissey wrote:
On 06/24/10 04:14 PM, Adam Webb wrote:
test_distutils passes if I use a plain python 2.6.5 tarball. This is
consistent with the problem being in Sage or at least in the
environment used for building packages.

Adam

That's interesting!

So far everyone seems to see this.

* You on Scientific Linux
* Me on OpenSolaris
* Me on Solaris 10
* Alex Ghitza on what I think is probably archlinux though I'm not sure.
* Francois on Gentoo.

Just to be clear I was pointing that the test is skipped because it
is known to fail in the "system" package. The snippet I sent is part
of what is in every gentoo system regardless of whether they use
sage or not.
I was pointing out that some python tests are known to fail at the linux
distro level.

Francois

I wonder if the problem is fixed in Python 2.6.5, since the test passes for Adam with 2.6.5.

The problem with Python in Sage is there are so many patches, that is makes it difficult to update. Many patches are copied over Python files - I don't know how carefully these changed files have been updated as python has been updated, but some are years old. The chances someone has screwed up during that time is quite high.

'hg log' shows 68 entries.

Dave