On Jun 24, 11:42 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:

> >> That's interesting!
>
> >> So far everyone seems to see this.
>
> >> * You on Scientific Linux
> >> * Me on OpenSolaris
> >> * Me on Solaris 10
> >> * Alex Ghitza on what I think is probably archlinux though I'm not sure.
> >> * Francois on Gentoo.
>
> > Just to be clear I was pointing that the test is skipped because it
> > is known to fail in the "system" package. The snippet I sent is part
> > of what is in every gentoo system regardless of whether they use
> > sage or not.
> > I was pointing out that some python tests are known to fail at the linux
> > distro level.
>
> > Francois
>
> I wonder if the problem is fixed in Python 2.6.5, since the test passes for
> Adam
> with 2.6.5.
>
> The problem with Python in Sage is there are so many patches, that is makes it
> difficult to update. Many patches are copied over Python files - I don't know
> how carefully these changed files have been updated as python has been
> updated,
> but some are years old. The chances someone has screwed up during that time is
> quite high.
>
> 'hg log' shows 68 entries.
>
> Dave

Hi,

I did a another test and test_distutils also passes for a plain 2.6.4.
In fact, I don't think I have ever seen this one fail. Since my system
Python is only 2.4 I have usually have to compile a newer one.
Normally, I get failures on modules due to missing devel packages.
Naturally failures may vary between distributions. Missing modules may
or may not have an impact on Sage.

I would not rule out any unexpected side-effects of some old patch
though. It is probably a good idea to review the patches to remove
anything that is no longer needed.

Adam