On 06/25/10 08:11 AM, Adam Webb wrote:

On Jun 24, 11:42 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby"<david.kir...@onetel.net>

The problem with Python in Sage is there are so many patches, that is makes it
difficult to update. Many patches are copied over Python files - I don't know
how carefully these changed files have been updated as python has been updated,
but some are years old. The chances someone has screwed up during that time is
quite high.

'hg log' shows 68 entries.

Dave

Hi,

I did a another test and test_distutils also passes for a plain 2.6.4.
In fact, I don't think I have ever seen this one fail. Since my system
Python is only 2.4 I have usually have to compile a newer one.
Normally, I get failures on modules due to missing devel packages.
Naturally failures may vary between distributions. Missing modules may
or may not have an impact on Sage.

I would not rule out any unexpected side-effects of some old patch
though. It is probably a good idea to review the patches to remove
anything that is no longer needed.

Adam

Hi Adam.

I noticed there was a patch to disutils in Sage, but removing it did not allow it to build on my system. I would be interested if it does on yours. You should find it easily in spkg-install - just comment it out.

I do wonder if there should be a different method of applying patches in Sage to .spkg files. One option is that a checksum is computed of the file being overwritten, and the patch will only apply if the checksum is the same. That way, if the upstream source gets updated, the patch can't be applied without someone manually doing things with it.

Dave