On 3 ago, 13:01, Simon King <simon.k...@nuigalway.ie> wrote:

> 1) It must be easily recognisable for the preparser. I think this is
> the case here.
> 2) There is no way to interpret it in Python syntax (i.e., there can
> be no doubt for the preparser which syntax is being used). I think
> this is the case here, since having ";" after an opening [ before
> there is the closing ] is a syntax error in Python.
> 3) The lead developers must like the notation to such extent that they
> consider modifying the preparser for the first time after 3 years.
>
> So, probably 3) is the biggest problem.

I agree with Simon in that developers may be reluctant to modify the
preparser unless it's strictly necessary.
An argument in favor of changing it would be Sage's mission:
"Creating a viable free open source alternative to Magma, Maple,
Mathematica and Matlab."
If Sage is going to be an alternative to Matlab, it would be a
precondition that matrix input were easy. In Matlab it's pretty easy
to enter matrices, so changing the preparser would make Sage more
usable as an alternative to Matlab.
(On the other hand, Matlab is specifically oriented to matrices
-"MATrix LABoratory"- while Sage is a generic mathematics software
suite, and since Sage already has a way to input matrices, it's not
too important to change the preparser for that)