> Kamaraju,
>
> Overall I like your plan.  And I'd like to help.
>
> I do not like starting with version 3.0.6.  I think such an old version
> is unlikely to attract many users and hence testing will be suboptimal.
> In addition, upstream reports that upgrading to 4.5 is currently broken
> (http://sagemath.org/mirror/src/changelogs/sage-4.5.1.txt), so we
> know that older releases will incur substantial development challenges
> that even upstream is not supporting.  Moreover, upstream releases very
> frequently (lately releases have occurred more often than once per month),
> so by the end of the squeeze+1 cycle we will experience many, many upgrade
> tests.  So adding to the testing burden by doing a "dry run" with legacy
> versions seems to me to be a very inefficient use of volunteer time.
> Indeed, until the packaging process becomes very efficient (which might
> take substantial time), I think it would be smarter to conserve limited
> volunteer resources by not packaging some of the upstream releases.

You have a point. But the way I see it is this.

Sagemath is constantly updated at a rate greater than debian can cope
up. I highly doubt we will ever be releasing the .deb packages as fast
as they release the .tgz files. So, at some point we have to skip
releases and provide as latest debs as possible. I understand that.

But now the situation is a bit different. Are we sure that we have all
the deps of sagemath packaged into Debian? If the answer is yes, then
I am happy to start with 4.5 right away.

If the answer is no then the next question is what is the minimal
version that we can package given the current set of packages
available in Debian. There is no clear cut approach. we need to go
back and forth a bit. We may need to file some ITPs and work on some
transitions which is where the team becomes important.

As for the support requests from users, sooner or later they realize
that if there is a problem they have to go with the later version
anyway. A bit of that frustration is probably good as it will drive
some to come and take part in packaging sage for Debian.

thanks
raju