On Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 06:04:22PM +0200, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> Hi CJ, thanks for bringing this issue up again and for the summary.
>
> Il 01/10/2010 02:22, CJ Fearnley ha scritto:
> >    * Scipy 0.6.7, which is in sid (Debian's development branch), will
> >      break things, at least because Sage's scipy requires this patch
> >      http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/changeset/5790
>
> Why are you saying that scipy 0.6.7 is in sid? It seems to me that only
> 0.7.2 is in sid (as your next point says).

Oops, I got cross-eyed:

Sympy is only OK (for Sage) up to version 0.6.6.  0.6.7 in sid will break
(note from François Bissey).

Scipy in Sage requires this patch:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/changeset/5790

So that's two issues not one.

> > It might be helpful to maintain this "list of issues for Sage in Debian"
> > so that it can be edited collectively.  Where?  How?
>
> I just made a wiki page with the issues you outlined:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Sage

Excellent!

> > Finally, it is still not clear to me who is on the team working to
> > build a Debian Sage package.  Is everyone interested on the debian-sage
> > google group?  Is there another place where the team should congregate
> > to coordinate the work?
>
> I'd prefer using debian-scie...@l.d.o for this kind of task: it's a
> Debian thing and it's totally appropriate on that list. I wholeheartedly
> hate Google Groups (for example, for their absurd subscription policy)
> and would like to keep Debian-related emails on Debian list archives.

Maybe we should trim the CC list to just debian-scie...@l.d.o
and debian-s...@googlegroups.com (since I believe that would be
preferred by some Sage people who do not want to bother with all of
debian-scie...@l.d.o).  Would that satisfy everyone on the (overly broad)
CC list?

--
We are on a spaceship; a beautiful one.  It took billions of years to develop.
We're not going to get another.  Now, how do we make this spaceship work?

CJ Fearnley                |  Explorer in Universe
c...@cjfearnley.com         |  "Dare to be Naive" -- Bucky Fuller
http://www.CJFearnley.com  |  http://blog.remoteresponder.net/