Since I haven't seen any updates on the work to build a Debian package
for Sage, here is a summary of the past discussions that I believe
is up-to-date:
 - I was mistaken about gdmodule: it is included in the Debian package
   python-gd.  So no work is needed there.  Good.
 - The Cephes Mathematical Library is only needed for Cygwin (Windows)
   and so is not required for Debian (William Stein).
 - f2c is only needed for Scipy and therefore should not be required
   for a Debian package because Debian already has Scipy (François Bissey,
   William Stein).
 - flintqs / SIMPQS issue.  FlintQS should probably be removed as a SPKG
   in Sage, but it may require work (qsieve).  Bill Hart may be able to
   comment further (William Stein).
 - opencdk / gnutls.  William Stein thinks it is only needed to "provide
   a secure SSL mode for the Sage notebook".  So we can probably use
   the Debian version of gnutls, but that will require assessment.
 - Issues Identified by François Bissey:
   * Scipy 0.6.7, which is in sid (Debian's development branch), will
     break things, at least because Sage's scipy requires this patch
     http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/changeset/5790
   * Sage does not yet support scipy 0.8 because it depends on numpy-1.4
     and "Sage is not going there yet".  Strangely, Debian sid currently
     has scipy 0.7.2 (good), but includes numpy 1.4.1 (ut-oh).  So that
     will probably create issues.
   * This pickles patch is still not integrated into Python upstream,
     but it is needed for Sage: http://bugs.python.org/issue7689
   * This python2.6 issue probably affects sid:
     http://bugs.python.org/issue7491 which breaks stuff, witness:
     http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues#issue/1
   * pexpect issue (Debian pkg:  python-pexpect): Debian ships version 2.3,
     but Sage requires version 2.0 (though one of the necessary patches
     is already in 2.4).  Plotting in the notebook is likely to break with
     newer versions that are in Debian; and >2.0 is reported to be slow.
   * ecl is OK unless compiled with Unicode
     support (http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/closed#issue/2).
     Debian may do that, so it could be an issue.
 - There are still two unpackaged dependencies:  ratpoints and cliquer.
 - There are at least five Debian packages that should be updated to newer
   upstream versions:  libflint, libfplll0, gfan, lcalc, m4ri.

There are some general issues mentioned on this page:
http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Debconf10/Unofficial/Talks/MathematicalSoftware

There was a 10-15 minute discussion on packaging
Sage at DebConf10.  Video is here:
http://penta.debconf.org/dc10_schedule/events/557.en.html
At a later talk, David Bremner gave an eloquent
summary of the challenges in packaging Sage in Debian:
http://penta.debconf.org/dc10_schedule/events/604.en.html

Giovanni Mascellani kindly put the old, buggy Debian Sage source code
into git: git://git.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/sagemath.git
So we can build on Tim Abbott's prior work.

Did I miss any other issues?

So we need volunteers to help on at least the seven packages that are
dependencies of Sage.

It might be helpful to maintain this "list of issues for Sage in Debian"
so that it can be edited collectively.  Where?  How?

We also need volunteers to coordinate between the Sage, Upstream, and
Debian package maintainers to resolve each of the documented issues.

Finally, it is still not clear to me who is on the team working to
build a Debian Sage package.  Is everyone interested on the debian-sage
google group?  Is there another place where the team should congregate
to coordinate the work?

--
We are on a spaceship; a beautiful one.  It took billions of years to develop.
We're not going to get another.  Now, how do we make this spaceship work?

CJ Fearnley                |  Explorer in Universe
c...@cjfearnley.com         |  "Dare to be Naive" -- Bucky Fuller
http://www.CJFearnley.com  |  http://blog.remoteresponder.net/