The spkg sympow (Mark Watkins's C library for computing symmetric
power L-functions, which applications) is causing more and more
problems (see #9705 for example) but it provides functionality which
is unavailable elsewhere in Sage.  I have only used it for modular
degrees of elliptic curves over Q, but it does other stuff.  I suspect
that some of that could be provided via lcalc (C library) and/or
dokchitser's gp scripts.

How realistic do people think it to rewrite what's needed?

And (this question directed at the others of you who know him) is it
worth it to try to get Mark Watkins to be more cooperative?  Or is
that hopeless while he remains at Magma, at least?

John