On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is there even a link from which Sympow can be downloaded so that one
> can look through the code to see if it is worth salvaging. I can't
> even find a webpage for Mark Watkins at the moment, let alone sympow.
>
> I honestly suspect that Mark has just moved on to other projects. I
> doubt very much if his work on Magma precludes him from maintaining
> this package. I've personally worked with him on projects since he
> joined the Magma group and we both made use of each other's code
> without even asking the question.

The above is just speculation without even asking him.

> But, we should be more selective when including packages.

No new packages ever again :-)

>  IMHO, from
> the start, sympow should have been merged to become part of a larger
> library of functionality, though to be honest, I'm not quite sure
> where it exactly belongs. I don't think it belongs in flint as such.
> Maybe Pari?

And whose going to do this work? You?

> I'm also really wondering why cephes is in Sage. Unless there are two
> packages with the same name, it was last updated circa 1994 and uses
> non-portable long doubles. We've booted packages from Sage for much
> less felonious offences.

Cephes is in Sage because it's absolutely critical for the Windows port.

> Is there a modularity problem here? I always thought that given Sage
> sees itself as more of a distribution (like linux) than a single
> project,

Sage is not more of a distribution than a single project.  Sage is:

  1. A distribution
  2. Unified interfaces to math software
  3. A new library and math software system,

with the single guiding goal to "create a viable free open source
alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica, and MATLAB."

>  then all but a very small number of core libs should be able
> to be added/removed from Sage at the flick of a switch.

This is not even true of Linux distributions.    Even the most minimal
ubuntu install still has tons of packages... or at least a lot more
then "a very small number".

> It sure would've made a Windows port easier!

Programs that aren't Sage are easier to port to Windows :-).
You might try porting SPD to Windows instead, which would
be easier. http://github.com/certik/spd

> Is it too late to fix the spkg
> system to be more modular. Is there even an efficient method in Python
> of conditionally including code based on availability of prereqs? I
> know this exists at some levels, for example GMP vs MPIR or NTL vs
> FLINT or zn_poly vs FLINT vs Pari for Z/nZ[x], etc. But this only
> seems to be where one library can substitute for another, which is
> rare. Could this be extended and still efficient? For example I don't
> think you want to be checking in Python whether you have GMP loaded
> every time you go to add two integers together. But then maybe with
> the possibility of a choice between MPIR and GMP at the spkg level,
> GMP/MPIR should be viewed as essential to Sage and thus a core lib?
> Maybe ALL the libraries in Sage are considered core and only those
> packages which are optional spkgs are considered truly.... optional.

Correct.

> If so, I think the core is potentially unwieldy and

It's not unwieldy, but it is difficult to wield.

> may be
> contributing to some of the maintenance issues.....

Sage is definitely contributing to the maintenance issues of Sage.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics