On 08/16/10 11:48 PM, Bill Hart wrote:

Cephes is in Sage because it's absolutely critical for the Windows port.

You mean you used it in the Cygwin port?

I suspect William does. Like you, I don't consider that a native Windows port. But it might be the closest we get. (We know we differ on this topic. It's been debated elsewhere, so lets forget that for now).

But Cephes is also needed for FreeBSD port too.

Doesn't the inclusion of an old package like this with no maintainer
potentially cause more maintenance problems for people down the line.

Agreed, though in the case of cephes, the basic functionality is somewhat easier to understand. If a part of it is not working, there's a greater chance of a Sage developer being able to fix it.

There's also more incentive for someone to fix it. It is used in the Cygwin port and its used in the FreeBSD port. It is needed for those ports to work at all.

In contrast, it seems sympow is not used by many people. The fact there are no bug reports of it not working on the public servers shows how little it is used. (If someone actually tried to run many of the examples, they will find they don't work). It has however been fixed in the Gentoo port.

Dave