Is there even a link from which Sympow can be downloaded so that one
can look through the code to see if it is worth salvaging. I can't
even find a webpage for Mark Watkins at the moment, let alone sympow.

I honestly suspect that Mark has just moved on to other projects. I
doubt very much if his work on Magma precludes him from maintaining
this package. I've personally worked with him on projects since he
joined the Magma group and we both made use of each other's code
without even asking the question.

But, we should be more selective when including packages. IMHO, from
the start, sympow should have been merged to become part of a larger
library of functionality, though to be honest, I'm not quite sure
where it exactly belongs. I don't think it belongs in flint as such.
Maybe Pari?

I'm also really wondering why cephes is in Sage. Unless there are two
packages with the same name, it was last updated circa 1994 and uses
non-portable long doubles. We've booted packages from Sage for much
less felonious offences.

Is there a modularity problem here? I always thought that given Sage
sees itself as more of a distribution (like linux) than a single
project, then all but a very small number of core libs should be able
to be added/removed from Sage at the flick of a switch. It sure
would've made a Windows port easier! Is it too late to fix the spkg
system to be more modular. Is there even an efficient method in Python
of conditionally including code based on availability of prereqs? I
know this exists at some levels, for example GMP vs MPIR or NTL vs
FLINT or zn_poly vs FLINT vs Pari for Z/nZ[x], etc. But this only
seems to be where one library can substitute for another, which is
rare. Could this be extended and still efficient? For example I don't
think you want to be checking in Python whether you have GMP loaded
every time you go to add two integers together. But then maybe with
the possibility of a choice between MPIR and GMP at the spkg level,
GMP/MPIR should be viewed as essential to Sage and thus a core lib?
Maybe ALL the libraries in Sage are considered core and only those
packages which are optional spkgs are considered truly.... optional.
If so, I think the core is potentially unwieldy and may be
contributing to some of the maintenance issues.....

Bill.