I've created a new version of the sympow which builds and passes all the relevant doc tests on Solaris x86 (Xeon processor).

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/patches/sympow-1.018.1.p8.spkg

It might work on Cygwin too, though I don't guarantee that. I've written it with the intension of it working on Cygwin, but have not tested it.

I'd also appreciate testing on other systems. It should be unaffected on other platforms, though I've not extensively checked this yet. Hence I'm not yet marking this for review. But I'd appreciate any testing.

I've unwrapped the package at

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/patches/sympow-1.018.1.p8/

The main change was to write this bit of C

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/patches/sympow-1.018.1.p8/patches/fpu.c

Any comments on the terminology used in there are welcome. Also changed in this wonderful Configure script.

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/patches/sympow-1.018.1.p8/patches/Configure

I also changed the SPKG.txt, as prior to that it was basically nothing like it should have been.

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/patches/sympow-1.018.1.p8/SPKG.txt

Dave