Setting SAGE_CHECK=yes forces the test suites of some packages to run. Clearly that slows the build time - in some cases very significantly. I think with Pari, it takes about 10x as long to run the test suite as it does to just build the code.

But for some programs, the time need to run the test suite is very small indeed. (Many take less than 10 seconds on my Sun Ultra 27).

Would it not be sensible to always run the test suites on packages where they run quickly and exit if there are errors?

I'd suggest as a cut-off, using 30 seconds on sage.math. In other words, if a test suite can be run in under 30 seconds on sage.math, then run it every time Sage is built. If it takes longer than that, then only run it from spkg-check.

I doubt this would have much impact on the time to build Sage, but it may improve the quality. The reasons I believe it will have minimal impact is

 * Only a small number of packages have test suites. (About 20% to date).

* Of those that do have test suites, about 50% take less than 10 seconds to run on my Sun Ultra 27 (probably a bit longer on sage.math)

* Several of the test suites would fall outside the 30 second cutoff, so would not get run anyway.

Despite the tile of the ticket, if you ignore anything other than the first two columns here, you will get a list of what packages have spkg-check files.

Dave