On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 at 12:15PM -0800, William Stein wrote:
> Unfortunately, I looked at the new OEIS end user license.  Very, very
> sadly, redistributing the above file is a blatant violation of these
> terms (see Section 2, number 2). So Mike, please remove it at some
> point so I don't get into trouble.  (I doubt they are going to do
> anything right now.)
>
> http://oeis.org/wiki/The_OEIS_End-User_License_Agreement
>
> <rant>
> I think this is a very, very sad direction for OEIS to have gone in,
> with Sloane passing it off under such terms.  It's really a shame.
> Wikipedia has provided a vastly better example in how to make data
> available.
>
> It might even be the case that the sloane_sequences file in Sage, if
> it were to a grow a bit, would violate the terms.
> </rant>
>
> I wonder if the OEIS used to be available under a different license,

My impression is that there was no license; it was just like any other
random web page. In fact, if anything, the license or terms of use were
almost certainly much more restrictive, since technically it might have
been owned by AT&T / Bell Labs.

> I encourage people to read the terms here
> http://oeis.org/wiki/The_OEIS_End-User_License_Agreement to make sure
> I'm not misunderstanding them. And if you're the sort of person (like
> me), who has contributed to OEIS, to think twice before doing so in
> the future.

I'll take another look. But, instead of simply thinking twice before
contributing, if we want the license changed, we should talk to Sloane
and the OEIS people about it. (I'm an associate editor of the OEIS, for
what it's worth.) It seems unlikely that the current license is intended
to prevent the Sage project from redistributing parts of the OEIS.

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake
-----  http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake