On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Robert Dodier <robert.dod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 5:02 pm, Rob Beezer <goo...@beezer.cotse.net> wrote:
>> On Nov 25, 3:35 pm, Donald Alan Morrison <donmorri...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > "Abramowitz and Stegun: Handbook of Mathematical Functions" is another
>> > interesting topic source you mentioned.  It is very nice that it's
>> > free to view.  I'm surprised that it's just scanned images....someone
>> > could have run it through OCR, then LaTeX.
>>
>> The "Digital Library of Mathematical Functions" is the follow-on to
>> Abramowitz and Stegun.
>>
>> http://dlmf.nist.gov/
>
> The DLMF is not the same as A&S in at least one respect:
> whereas A&S is a work in the public domain, DLMF is copyrighted.
>
> Now one might suppose that the DLMF is a work of a federal
> agency (NIST) and therefore cannot be copyrighted.
> The arrangement is this: NIST contracts with the authors
> (not NIST employees, I gather) to write it, then the authors
> assign the copyright to NIST.

Is that legal? In any case, I've heard that version. I have also heard
another version:
NIST is one of the few (possibly only) fed agency which has an
exception to the "public domain" rule for official govt work. (True)
However, the exception is for a very specific purpose and
it isn't at all clear to me that NIST meets that provision in the copyright
law. I am not a lawyer but also I am very biased in favor of openness,
so my feeling on what NIST has done (copyright-wise) to the
DLMF) could very well be inaccurate.