On Nov 25, 12:15 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Mike Hansen <mhan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 7:43 AM, ulfarsson <ulfars...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> the function sloane_find seems to be broken after the recent updates
> >> to The online encyclopedia of integer sequences, oies.org. For example
>
> >> sloane_find([1,2,3,4,5,6])
>
> >> does not find anything in the database.
>
> > This ishttp://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10056and has been
> > fixed in Sage 4.6.1.
>
> >> Does anyone have a recent copy of teh gzipped file lying around
> >> somewhere that I could borrow until the oeis fixes their file?
>
> > I'm not sure how recent you need, but I believe this is from about a year
> > ago.
>
> >http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mhansen/database_sloane_oeis-200...
>
> > --Mike
>
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately, I looked at the new OEIS end user license.  Very, very
> sadly, redistributing the above file is a blatant violation of these
> terms (see Section 2, number 2). So Mike, please remove it at some
> point so I don't get into trouble.  (I doubt they are going to do
> anything right now.)
>
> http://oeis.org/wiki/The_OEIS_End-User_License_Agreement
>
> <rant>
> I think this is a very, very sad direction for OEIS to have gone in,
> with Sloane passing it off under such terms.  It's really a shame.
> Wikipedia has provided a vastly better example in how to make data
> available.
>
> It might even be the case that the sloane_sequences file in Sage, if
> it were to a grow a bit, would violate the terms.
> </rant>
>
> I wonder if the OEIS used to be available under a different license,
> or maybe Sloane just didn't worry about licenses?  If it did used to
> be available under different terms?
>
> I encourage people to read the terms
> herehttp://oeis.org/wiki/The_OEIS_End-User_License_Agreementto make sure
> I'm not misunderstanding them.  And if you're the sort of person (like
> me), who has contributed to OEIS, to think twice before doing so in
> the future.
>
>  -- William

I downloaded all the A-files (containing the formulas, comments, and
the first few terms) before the new license was released.  At the time
I downloaded it; the site said it was ok to have a copy for research
use but not commercial use.  Also only the keyword:core sequences (169
sequences) are really vetted and important....some of the keyword:nice
sequences (6205 excluding intersection with core) are also important.
A little bird told me that about 2-5% of entries have errata.

Maybe it would be a worthwhile project to create an independent db
format, and re-create core sequences working from other texts.
Certainly just looking up a function name or identity expression is
fair use of the text (not copying anything else)...I mean, someone
can't copyright the name of a function.  Or does copyright cover
"lists of function names"?  If so, other sources could be consulted to
compile a list of (new-)"core" sequences.

"Abramowitz and Stegun: Handbook of Mathematical Functions" is another
interesting topic source you mentioned.  It is very nice that it's
free to view.  I'm surprised that it's just scanned images....someone
could have run it through OCR, then LaTeX.

-Donald