On Feb 17, 4:49 pm, Matt Goodman <meawo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> MATLAB isn't a tool used outside of academia very often.

I think you are wrong here.  I don't have any data to point to though.
Do you have any data on this?

>  Its licensing makes it hard to redistribute code (like to a third party),
> or even run it on a couple different workstations in a HPC sense.

Huh?  How so?  You write a program, you own it, you can give it to
someone else.
Did they make that hard to do somehow?

>  Its a
> great tool for quick and dirty analyses, but overall its a terribly
> crafted language for development with more than one developing party.

I would guess that its large number of users just run Matlab programs
to get answers.
When they write their own programs, they are likely to be rather
small.

I am not in any way defending the design decisions in the Matlab
language
itself, which has a number of glaring problems from the computer
science
perspective.  But it is popular and useful.
> would guess the matlab base is about 2x the scientific python community, but
> the science python people are only 5%-10% of Python users.  The same foes
> for LabView etc.

I think you are way off, and the Matlab community is many times the
scientific
python community,  but again I have no data.  I suspect that the
serious scientific computing community is almost all non-python, and
that
it consists of C/Fortran/Matlab.  I would discount the people trying
to adapt
python for scientific computing, or trying to promote it for other
people to
use. I would count only those people who are employed
as computational scientists in some application domain who have chosen
python.

> Its easy to forget that science Python is a serious _minority_ in the Python
> community.  I attend the Enthought monthly Python meetup here in Austin, and
> of 50 people, maybe 3-5 are science Python programmers.

I am not surprised that there is a relatively small overlap between
scientific
computing and Python programming.  Most scientific computing tasks are
sensitive
to efficiency of resulting code.