On 3/27/11 10:28 AM, Mike Hansen wrote:
Hello,

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 1:08 AM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com>  wrote:
Rado or Mike: how do you think we should get jmol requests to be recognized
as requests coming from an authenticated user?

The issue is that the secure cookie that Flask uses is sent as
httponly, which the Java applet won't send.  Adding this patch to the
notebook code will fix that:

You're brilliant!

As I understand it, putting httponly=False opens us up to another avenue of cross-site scripting attacks, though [1]. If there's any way to avoid it, it seems that would be good. Here are some possible options:

1. Use javascript to request the files for the java applet, instead of making the applet request the files

2. Making the .jmol and .jmol.zip files not require authentication to retreive

What do you think, Mike?

Thanks,

Jason

[1] See http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/08/protecting-your-cookies-httponly.html, thought http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/why-httponly-wont-protect-you/ presents the case that httponly does not protect you against everything.