On 03/31/11 05:32 PM, jtyard wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply.  I tried last night to figure out how to patch
my notebook, and I ended up giving up after several hours.  I also
couldn't find any documentation for hg_sagenb.apply.  After updating
jmol to 1.1.5, I tried to follow the directions at

http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/walk_through.html#reviewing-a-patch

only replacing hg_sage.apply with hg_sagenb.apply, but things seem not
to be as simple as described on that page.  Running the command on a
patch drops me into a vim editor that shows the text of the whole
patch.  Not knowing what to do, I press "q" and I am then asked to
enter a commit message.  No matter what I seem to do, when I try to
quit vim it warns me that there was "no write since last change", and
if I quit with :q! then it seems I am back where I started.  It
doesn't help that I am next to clueless about vim, having been raised
on emacs, but I really am beyond confused about why I am being dropped
into the editor in the first place.

Any pointers you could give me to get the new notebook up and running
would be much appreciated.  I'll be more than happy to test it.

Thanks,
Jon

If you make changes to the code and try to commit them, then you must give a message why. I must admit I can't see why that should be so with you applying a patch though.

I personally never use the "hg" commands in Sage, but use a version of "hg" on my system, so I can't really say too much about your issues.

If set this:

EDITOR=emacs
export EDITOR

then instead of firing up vim, you will get emacs. (I had the almost the opposite problem to you - my system kept firing up the GUI editor "gedit", but I wanted vi!)

I believe there's a variable you can use that selects the editor for Mercurial (i.e. hg) only. I'm not sure what it is, but Google would find it. But I just use "EDITOR" as I use vi for everything anyway.

I must admit though, I'm still puzzled why you are asked to supply a commit message.

Dave