On 4/1/11 1:18 PM, Jonathan wrote:
Dan,

I'm glad you like most of what has been done.  If you manage to get
anything to fail please report that as well.

As to the speed, there's not a lot we can do.  That is limited by how
fast information is passed from the server and how fast your computer
is.  Jmol is doing quite a bit of computation to produce the live
figures.  Because of JavaVM memory constraints within browsers things
do not work well if more than one applet is loading at once.  This
means that each applet has to finish loading before the next one can
start.

One thought is to make it clearer what is happening.  Would a pop-up
progress window indicating which applet is loading help with the way
it feels?

If we end up doing a pop-up progress window, how about instead a little spinning icon in the place of the jmol applet, like a typical circular thing chasing its tail, or a progress bar loader. If it's in the place of the applets that haven't loaded yet, it's not intrusive on the experience, whereas a pop-up progress window I think intrudes too much on the user.

I agree that we should get something in that we've been testing a long time first, and then we can worry more about adding additional things on.

Thanks,

Jason