So I just made a fresh build of sage and the patching went smoothly.
Not sure what was causing the problem.  So far, everything works
great!  I also noticed that it did seem to take a long time for the
applets to load, and somehow it seems that the image resolution is not
as good as it was before I did the update.  Presumably this is to save
memory, but it would be nice if this could be a global option somehow.

Thanks!
Jon