On 1 April 2011 05:24, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that the number of make -jN threads should be a good deal larger
> than the number of physical cores. Also, make sure that you set
> export SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD=yes
> or you'll see mostly a slow single-threaded configure followed by a
> lightning-fast compile phase. This should be really the default by now but
> unfortunately it is not.

It only needs a patch to make this the default. I agree with you. I
created a ticket a week or so ago to update the instructions on
building Sage from source

Currently these instructions are outdated, misleading and in one case
I feel dangerous. One thing I did do there was to remove the comment
that SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD=yes is experimental. This seems to be
very stable now, so that comment is removed.

Dave