On Apr 1, 2011, at 06:31 , Volker Braun wrote:

> The NUM_THREADS variable in the main Makefile is only used for parallel
> testing, that is, when you run "make ptest". I consider it a bug that it
> doesn't respect the "MAKE=make -jN" environment variable setting. But then,
> you can always run sage -tp N to set the number of threads to anything you
> want. Or edit the Makefile, which will be a nice test for the new sage-root
> repository scripts if you ever try to upgrade Sage.
>
> For the build target, make will use as many threads as you specify in $MAKE.

I think I knew about NUM_THREADS, but I keep forgetting...

So, I have "MAKE=make -j48", but I don't see much parallelism in the build;
perhaps that means that with dependencies, we're at a max around 10
processors/threads (so throwing more at the problem doesn't help).

With testing, I sure saw a difference.  With NUM_THREADS=24, all 24 threads
were pinned, so the Activity Monitor's CPU Meter was solid on.  With this
setting, the testing time dropped from 900 seconds to 600 seconds.  Whee!

Of course, with 24 threads, this pushes the per-UID process count way up.  I
had to change the setting (ulimit) to get the testing to complete without
seeing a batch of EAGAIN errors.  Now I just have to remember how to get this
to happen from boot time...

Thanks for the help!

Justin

--