On 1 April 2011 13:33, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your storage might be slow, too, but I guess you got a reasonable SSD with
> your system so that shouldn't be a concern.
>
> Though I'm not surprised that a significant fraction of the build time is
> spent in various (single-threaded) configure scripts. If I exclude ATLAS, I
> can build Sage in about 30 minutes. Although I haven't tried to benchmark
> it, a good part of it seems to be non-parallelizeable. So there are some
> diminishing returns as you throw more cores at it.

Another issue is the size of some of the source files. sqlite for
example has a single C source file of 3.7 MB. I think now with
multi-core CPUs being the norm rather than the exception, authors of
code should try to split large files so it is possible to compile more
than one bit of a package at once.

Dave