Hi John,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 2:37 PM, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This looks very like the authentication needed for someone to join a
> google group such as sage-nt (I get an email when anyone asks to join
> and have to make a decision).

Exactly. A group of managers/moderators screen requests for their
legitimacy prior to creating trac accounts.

> Can we somehow limit trac account creation to membership of a google
> group such as sage-trac?

I think so, though the name of the group must be something else other
than "sage-trac". The latter name has already been taken:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-trac

Let's call the group "sage-trac-account" for now. Here's how I
envision the group to normally operate. People who have privileges to
create accounts on trac will be managers/moderators of that group.
This means that they will be notified of all new requests for accounts
on trac. When one manager accepts an account request, the person
requesting the account will become a member of the group. When any
member wants to modify their account, they could easily do so
themselves without emailing the group. But if a person wants to delete
their account, I think that would require them to email the group.

How are managers to handle new account requests? For example, say
Henrietta Hacker wants a trac account. How would she go about doing
so? Here's a work flow: She requests to join the sage-trac-account
group, but should not provide any information such as account name and
password. The request to join sage-trac-account is only a first step
in screening out spammers. If the request is accepted, a group manager
will directly contact Henrietta to obtain the login credentials.
Here's a boilerplate reply email:

<template>
Hi Henrietta,

Welcome to the Sage community. Before your trac account could be
setup, the account managers need the following information from you:

* Real name
* Preferred username
* Preferred contact email address

Based on the above information, a manager would setup your trac
account with a random password. When you login to trac for the first
time, remember to change your account's password.

Regards,
The Sage trac account managers
</template>

And here's a boilerplate email after Henrietta's account has been setup:

<template>
Hi Henrietta,

Your trac account is now up and ready. Here are your login credentials:

* Username: h.hacker
* Password: <random-password>

On your first login, please change your account's password.

Regards,
The Sage trac account managers
</template>

The above process should be handled carefully to ensure that details
provided by Henrietta are only visible to trac account managers.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen