I wrote a script to create a virtual machine with Sage and export it as an
OVA appliance. I'm using VirtualBox but I think VMware should support it,
too. At this point it would be useful if people could try it out on a
variety of host machines. I built the following Sage appliance to test:

http://www.stp.dias.ie/~vbraun/Sage/Sage-4.7.rc2.ova

The virtual machine starts up in text mode and automatically runs the Sage
notebook server. At first startup you are prompted to enter a password, as
usual. Once you set up your admin password you have to use your ***host
OS*** web browser to open http://localhost:8000. The guest Sage install does
not have any GUI in the virtual machine, though you can of course use the
Sage command line.