The OVA file format is just a tar archive of a 2-file OVF format. VMware
might need you to place the contained files in the same directory.

[vbraun@volker-desktop data]$ tar tf Sage-4.7.rc2.ova
Sage-4.7.rc2.ovf
Sage-4.7.rc2-disk1.vmdk

The VM is always going to be painful to download with your modem. We can
certainly hand-craft a Fedora install that is even smaller or manually
delete/strip/dedup the Sage install. But then that'll just cause problems
when we upgrade the base Fedora install or if Sage moves files around. Right
now the compressed virtual machine is 1.4GB. Thats not excessive nowadays.
The contained virtual hdd is actually 7GB.