> > > probably VMWare requires a slightly different directory layout:
> > > http://gvaro.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/vmware-player-error-“failed-to-open-
> > > virtual-machine-failed-to-query-source-for-information-”/
> > >
> > > (don't know if Bing (ahem...) can find this link though :-))

That was one of the first hits I got. :-P But it does not help me. In
this case, everything is contained in a single OVA file. Why would the
location of an imported applicance make a difference?

> > Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't tried to make a hand-crafted
> > absolutely minimal Linux install because that would be a hassle to maintain.

I wasn't saying that manually tweaking is better; that would defeat
the whole point of the "automated" script! I was wondering whether
Fedora allows you to (automatically) install an even more reduced base
system than what you have right now. Or maybe you can specify which
packages you want to exclude at install time.

> > I agree that sendmail can be turned off. I like sshd, though, because its a
> > nice way to interact with the virtual machine. You can scp files in/out, for
> > example. By default the VM doesn't punch the ssh port through its NAT for
> > security, but that can be easily done in the VirtualBox settings.

I think this is an interesting debate. I see the whole virtual machine
solution as primarily targeting Windows, and most Windows users do not
have ssh or even know about it. Not to say that Sage-on-Windows users
are dumb, but I think that if such a user knows enough about ssh to
want to use it, he/she can install it manually. On the other hand,
instructions on transferring files in/out of VMs using the pre-
installed sshd are more likely to confuse users than to help them.

I also figure that such motivated/knowledgeable users are more likely
to install and configure their own VMs and just build Sage from
source.

I would like to keep things lean because long boot times and gigantic
disk images (about 4.5 GB uncompressed, and the downloading took over
2 hours on my internet connection) could be annoying for users who are
trying to take the shortest possible route to getting Sage running on
Windows.

> Maybe some ideas from the sage-lithe VM prototype (407
> MB)http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/emil/sagelithe/vm-sage-lithe-a1.zip
> could be utilized. In itself this version is not optimized yet (e.g.
> full xorg and xvesa)
> regards
> emil

Was this assembled by hand or by a script?

-- Kelvin