Hi John!

On 20 Sep., 21:21, john_perry_usm <john.pe...@usm.edu> wrote:
> This took me by surprise:
>
> sage: tord = TermOrder(matrix([3,2,4,1,1,0,1,0,0]))
> sage: R.<x,y,z> = PolynomialRing(QQ,'x',3,order=tord)
> sage: (x^2).degree()>>>> 6

It may be surprising that the first row of the order matrix is
interpreted as degrees. That's a Singular thing, I guess.

However, note that since sage-4.7.2.alpha1 Sage finally has "proper"
weighted degree term orders - that was trac ticket #11316. So, it will
be in the next release.

> sage: (x^2).degree(x)

> I didn't find the docstring helpful on this.

No? I find it rather clear. If the optional parameter x is provided,
then p.degree(x) is the degree of p in x, while it is the total degree
if there is no optional parameter. And of course, x^2 has degree 2 in
x, but has total degree 2 times the degree of x (thus, 6).

Do you have an alternative wording for the doc string?

Best regards,
Simon