Simon,

I have seen graded rings before, for example when defining homogeneous
rings one has standard and non-standard gradings. But the grading
wasn't determined by a term ordering in those cases, and I have seen a
distinction between the two: a recent paper on Computing Inhomogeneous
Groebner Bases by Bigatti, Caboara, and Robbiano distinguishes
monomial orderings that are compatible with a grading from those that
are not.

Are you saying the first row of a matrix term ordering determines the
degree of the generators? So, if I use the lexicographic ordering,
which is represented by the identity matrix, the degree of x1 is 1,
and the degrees of the other generators are 0? Either way, where can I
find a precise definition of "degree of a monomial" that differs from
the definitions I've given above?

john