On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/11 2:27 PM, Jason Grout wrote:
>>
>> On 10/18/11 2:03 PM, William Stein wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Regarding sagenb.org, the "problem" is simply that too many people are
>>> using it. Over 500 right now.
>>
>> Woohoo! I love seeing numbers like that! That's amazing!
>>

>>> I'll restart it, hence temporarily kicking everybody off. I will
>>> also adjust some limits on mod.math, so more file descriptors can be
>>> allocated.
>>
>> Great.
>>

>>> Obviously none of that is a longterm solution. Re-architecting the
>>> notebook server as we've discussed before (with a more scalable
>>> database-centric design) is. Your work on the single cell server is
>>> very important for this.
>>
>> The first step in getting that database-centric design into sagenb is to
>> test and release the flask notebook that is has been in the wings since
>> January.
>>
>> So another call to everyone: please, please test test.sagenb.org and
>> report any regressions.
>>
>> William: I think that it wouldn't hurt to upgrade sagenb.org to the new
>> codebase, given that sagenb.org is already running a pre-release version
>> of the flask notebook. If you want, I can do that if you'll tell me of
>> any special tweaks you made to sagenb.org over the flask codebase.
>

> Actually, I guess that (if there are no special tweaks to the sagenb.org
> version of the notebook), this would be as simple as changing this line:
>
> sage = 'sage-test' if self.name == 'sage_notebook-test' else 'sage'
>
> in the admin script to:
>
> sage = 'sage-test' if self.name in ('sage_notebook-test',
> 'sage_notebook-sagenb') else 'sage'
>
> and restarting sagenb.org (and waiting a few minutes while it caches some
> new information about shared worksheets).
>
> As a bonus, that would automatically upgrade sagenb.org to 4.7.1 as well.

There are tons of optional packages installed in sagenb, and -- most
importantly -- the login screen (html template) has

"Acknowledgement:

The Sage Notebook is based upon work supported by the National Science
Foundation under grant DMS-0821725, DMS-1020378, DMS-0713225,
DMS-0555776, DMS-0545904, DMS-0838212, DMS-0757627, DUE-1020378,
DMS-1015114, etc. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or
recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s)
and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science
Foundation. See also http://sagemath.org/development-ack.html.";

I've documented the optional packages here:

  /sagenb/sage_install/readme.txt

Most are standard "sage -i" optional packages.  Two are psage and
nosqlite, which are hosted on google code and use setup.py install.

So if you setup test.sagenb.org like that, then we can switch over as
you suggested.

William