By the way, I think trailing whitespace is often intentional. Some people
consider this a good thing:

    Some text$
    $
    Some more text$

Some people also consider this a good thing:

-------------$
    TITLE    $
-------------$

Hell, I used to think these were good things until someone knocked some
sense into my head :P And this kind of trailing whitespace (i.e. whitespace
for making $ line up with things) accounts for a good portion of the
trailing whitespace I see in Sage's codebase. Of 54837 instances of trailing
whitespace in files in $SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/sage , 42576 occurred on
otherwise empty lines, which I assume mostly falls under the first example
given above.

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !