Hmm. I have to say I'm surprised that people are advocating for using
trailing whitespace at all, as it seemed to me to be quite universally
reviled in the programming world. But on some reflection, the only real
problem with trailing whitespace - other than that it bloats files and that
it, er, grates on certain types of minds :) - is that people remove it from,
or, though I imagine this is rare, add it to otherwise untouched lines. I
guess if hypothetically we had stuck to a "no trailing whitespace policy"
from day 1 of Sage development, such a policy would have minimized diff
cruft. But Sage's codebase is already so big that perhaps the best policy is
just "don't purposelessly add or remove whitespace to lines that you aren't
otherwise editing". As far as that goes, Jason's .emacs snippet seems useful
for the developer's guide, indeed.

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !