On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:26 AM, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, January 16, 2012 7:42:49 AM UTC-8, William wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A major blocker for Sage-5.0 is supporting OS X (version 10.7 -- the
>>> version that has been out for months now).
>>>
>>> Fortunately, it is now "relatively easy" to build sage-5.0.beta1 on OS
>>> X 10.7 with XCode 4.x, and have it start up.
>
> After building Sage on OS X 10.7, "make test" did this:

For the record, running tests with "sage -t devel/sage/sage" yields
hundred(s) of failing files:

   http://wstein.org/home/wstein/tmp/test-sage-5.0.beta1-osx10.7.txt

It could be that most of these boil down to some code at the core of
PARI (the bezout function) being miscompiled.

There is a discussion about this from August 2011 here:

   http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/archives/pari-dev-1108/msg00000.html

It unfortunately appears based on the mailing list -- and searching
through the ** 5 months ** since then -- that nothing at all was done
to try to fix the problem, even though I had setup access to 10.7 for
the Pari developers.   Probably the main problem is that the machine I
setup -- sqrt5.math.washington.edu -- is on the CS network, and for
some reason it keeps getting kicked off.

This really sucks.   Maybe I can rewrite their bezout to get around
the problem.

 -- William